Friday, March 05, 2010

En Guerra Avisada No Muere Gente

There is an old Spanish proverb that says that, “En guerra avisada, no muere gente.” The direct translation is, “People don’t die in wars they are warned about” or more clearly “no soldiers will die in a scheduled war.” Now, what I suspect the saying was intended to mean is that if you are privy of the dangers around you, you are less likely to suffer a catastrophe from them. If there’s one thing I absolutely HATE is when I warn family and friends of something and they ignore me only to find themselves in the middle of Lake Shittybottom. I think we can all agree that you DON’T have to experience all things to understand them and some experiences and their nasty consequences are best learned vicariously – LEARN FROM OTHERS, RATHER THAN SUFFERING THINGS YOURSELF. So, in final recap, live by the brilliant Boricua proverb, because “en guerra avisada no muere gente.”

Keep passin’ the open windows…

6 comments:

Ty said...

I hear you. But some times people have to live the experience before they'll learn.

Anonymous said...

uuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Unknown said...

AMEN!

Tim said...

My fellow Rican, I live by that every day.

I may even get it tattooed on my arm....

Unknown said...

True, ugh and true...

You just really wish the best for folks..and for ourselves...and hate when we have to tackle the hard part in anticipation of the good.

Unknown said...

Most people are retarded.