Monday, October 27, 2008

REVIEW; Noah's Arc; Jumping The Broom

Remember Love
Noah’s Arc delivered. The short on reviews would be to say, “Thumbs up!” Sure, I can break it down and tell you that Noah’s Arc; Jumping the Broom could have included the theme song – at some point – or maybe even that it would have been nice to know what happened to Wade’s jilted ex-Dre’, but none of those things tarnished the experience of hangin’ with our favorite Logo-boys again. The movie – which played in only FIVE theaters across the country - grossed a very respectable, $161,000 (to put it in perspective, this averages to over $32,000 per location vs. $11,500 for the number one movie this weekend, HSM3) proving Noah’s Arc had the staying power to remain on LOGO and be successful if the powers-that-be weren’t so intimated by color on the network. I mean, let’s keep it real, I read one reviewer say that he was disturbed that the guys of Noah’s Arc have no White friends and that somehow this ruins his view of the show – and the movie. Ummm…. Maybe it’s me, but we sat for over seven seasons of Queer As Folk without so much as ONE black or Latino friend for any of the cast members of that hit Showtime series. Where was this entertainment critic then – and get this, the critic was BLACK! All those cock-and-bull issues aside, the movie doesn’t disappoint. If the title itself isn’t a spoiler then let me put the nail in the coffin and say, YES, the succulent Wade and the wispy Noah live happily ever after, but not before some really creative story writing takes place. The packed audience that sat through the showing we attended cheered, cried and laughed out loud. BD and I routinely shared a kiss or a tight hand-grip at several of the issues addressed by the movie. Although you shouldn’t expect any Academy Award winning performances, no Noah’s Arc fan will be disappointed by this much awaited flick. A must see for gay men of color and their admirers. The movie clearly showed that Showtime or HBO would have made a much more respectable home for the series and our men of the Arc.



On Blast
Put yourself in the casting chair….What character do you relate to the most on Noah’s Arc and why?

Keep passin’ the open windows…

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous that I did not get to see the movie... I could not even finish reading your post because I did not to spoil the movie... I will patiently wait for the dvd! hahaha

Hmm... out of all of the characters, I probably relate to Noah the most... a hopeless romantic, and expressive writer who surrounds himself with great friends and one who is very comfortable in his skin.

P.S.--- Cocoa, I don't think I ever told you this, but yours is one of the best blogs out there... keep it up my man!

Joey Bahamas said...

Uncle Cocoa,

I'm writing a review of this movie for a popular blog in DC, and I have to say, I wasn't that impressed. It was funny, and there was lots of drama but I thought the writing was lazy and the acting...well...anyway, I'm honestly a little fearful of the retribution I might face because of the review...what do you think?

JB

Unknown said...

Thanks Kenny...I'll do my best...it's cathartic, so expect to read some more ;)

Joey...hmpf...I can't say what the retribution will be, but I can say this...there are times when the greater good is served with silence...you see, the gay community has a hard time getting their work taken seriously and the black/latino gay community is virtually invisible, so I wonder what good it'll serve to take the one vehicle we have and run it into a brick wall. Who will let us drive again? Be honest baby...and when you can't be, then be quiet. ...and you know your uncle cocoa never steers you wrong. Love ya'

Achilles said...

I can relate to a few of the guys actually: BREAKDOWN

Noah - for his naivete, hopeless romantic outlook on life, always seeing the good in a situation, passion for writing


Ricky - never wanting to commit to anyone for fear of being hurt, deluding myself that one person could make me happy (then God brought you into my life and that all changed)

Wade - struggling with the guilt of being gay, dealing with women in the past, realizing that the one person that truly makes us happy and makes our heart skip a beat is a man...and that it's okay.

Darius T. Williams said...

I didn't see it. But you know what - I think the beauty of the show is that we can see a bit of each of us in all the characters.

That Dude Right There said...

Well i'll put it like this, after we left the movie Friday night, the other 5 people with me kept calling me Alex.

And I can honestly relate to him because of the issues he had with himself when dealing with Trey. I was the same way with my ex.

I could say a lot more, but I don't want to spoil it for those who have not seen it.

yet another black guy said...

I'm glad the movie is good and doing well. I can't wait to see it. And that critic? Please!

deonte' k said...

I thought the movie was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Mr. Jones said...

LOL @ you inviting me to see this with you and your beau liek I live around the corner. Next weekend. Do not forget.

Unknown said...

thanks for posting this. i too read a review in one of the dailys and got a little pissed-off. thank God i have and so many of us have sense enough to ignore them. i always said the series should have been on showtime or hbo because logo is full of sh_t!

M-Dubb said...

Where is Cocoa???