Thursday, December 28, 2006

Morning Edition - 12/28/06

That's What Friends Are For

As the Year Ends; I’ll Say It Today
As 2006 comes to a close, it’s important that I recognize the folks that played a pivotal role in making my life better, more interesting and flat-out more enjoyable. This is just a small token. If I didn’t mention you specifically, don’t be offended. It might just mean that you need not be mentioned because you already know the important role you play in my life.

To my soul wifey, Marcia…you have been my best friend, my voice of reason and my comfort when all seemed bleak. You know what to say, how to say it and when to say it… you are my treasure. I cannot find words to tell you how important you are to me and what your words of wisdom have done to make sense of my, sometimes, overly dramatic life. You are wise beyond your years, as beautiful as any runway model and as strong as a Mack truck. You are everything I believe a woman should be and I’m so thankful to have you in my life.

To my friend for life Clent…I know I’m difficult and, at times, not the best friend in the world. Thanks for sticking by me and always making light of the darkest conversations. You know me… I mean you really know me and that is priceless.

To Evelyn M…. my ride or die. In such a short period of time you renewed my belief in friendships and what true loyalty means. You are there, you have my back and for that, I’m so grateful. You are a born charmer and have a knack for words I can only aspire to attain. I miss you…

To Vern… after living in DC for close to 10 years I never had the opportunity to become close friends with you. Now that I’m in NYC, I find that you inspire me and have a calm strength that I admire. Thanks for allowing me to take your ride as an author with you – it is amazing to read your every word. I know you will be great and I’m proud to have you as a friend.

To Col… 30 years and you’re still acting like a god damn fool. I love you. You are my sister in every sense of the word and through everything you know nothing will ever come between you and me. Our childhood was exciting and as adults we can only dream of growing old sharing our lives.

To Herbie… who knew? A Puerto Rican who would become such a close friend? Nonsense! You are warmth personified. True, we will one day get arrested for your antics, but I have a sense that even behind bars, we will laugh until our stomach hurts. I love you.

To Robert… Okay, so I should have choked you to death 5 years ago and been writing this from behind bars, but instead, you are my heart. You know I promised to never use those three little words when referring to you, but hey, you already know. As I traverse the Big Apple and take a dip in the dating pool, I inevitably compare everyone to you. You are my model for a man. A love like ours will never be repeated in this lifetime.

To my blog family – Tam, Melissa, Donya, Eber, Vicenta, Toya, Tisha, Angie, Shey, Cola, Kim, Winona, Shannon, et al… y’all just make staying in touch so easy. You folks have made the e-mails, turned blog, a necessary part of my life. Your opinion matters to me. You are my family in every sense of the word. State lines, time and obligations are all just blips on the screen of our relationship. Thank you for being a part of my life.

And so, as 2007 begins and new chapters unfold, I thank you for continuing to share my life. I look forward to having you for all my years to come.

On Blast
What is your fondest memory of 2006?

Keep passin’ the open windows…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely peace out to 06. My fondest memory for this year was fitting in single digit clothing!

-Tiffanie

Anonymous said...

I don't know you Tiffanie but go on with your bad self!!!

Anonymous said...

In the Jan 06 I asked if the drastic changes I recently made in late 05 were in the right path for me. My life continued to change with little to no effort from me and all for the positive. I started school in late Jan 06. In July 06 I was blessed with a job in my field of studies which continues to bless me over and over.

All in all 06 was a great year and definitely one to remember.

Redhotmamagirl

Unknown said...

Hector you know how much I love and miss u. I just can not wait to read your novel. I will always support u just like I know you would do the same for me.

Anonymous said...

always love reading your blog, you wrapped up '06 nicely (thanks hector)...fondest memory...our last night in Puerto Rico, it's a must tell for every get-together, house party and family function...i love you!

Marcia

Unknown said...

My fondest memory of 2006 was the birth of my baby Daylen, April 2006. He's my nephew, but I could swear that he's my own! Bad, beautiful, spoiled, selfish and the look of sheer amazement and content to see pain make his uncle blush with the recognition that this is what my children would be like. I love that boy more than my life! Of course, Chris is my heart...my calm in the storm and my older nephew. These boyz are the only future men who will have license to forever punk their uncle...