Thursday, February 15, 2007

Morning Edition - 2/15/07

The Day After; Let the Games Begin
With the snow and ice storm that attacked New York City yesterday for Valentine’s Day, it was the perfect brew for a romantic evening curled up with the one you love – or as Luther sang, “…the one you’re with.” Sticking to form, I’m always a day late and a dollar short. In that vein, I chose to have my date on the day after the designated lover’s yearly display of affection. Tonight, MakeItUrOme and I will be having dinner and chillin’ at my crib in a get-to-know-me night. I’m missing the butterflies and I’m not nervous; I just have an odd sense that he’s going to be what I need right now. He’s caring, warm and attentive and the fact that he’s a thick and sexy Caribbean man makes him all the more recipe for fun. So, I’m pulling my favorite racquet out of the closet and adjusting my attitude for what’s set to be an exciting game. I’m up to serve and get served and with any luck no one will call out, “Fault!”

Sorry About the Disconnect
If you’re in my inner circle of friends you’ve noticed that the last month has been one where I haven’t been very available or connected. For the record, I hear all the messages, I read all the notes and I smile every time. Unfortunately, I’m in a funk and don’t feel like I would make for good conversation, advice or even idle chatter. So, please bear with me and give me a moment to get it together. At the risk of running the perennial “man” line, “It’s not you, it’s me.”

Say It Loud; I’m Black and I’m Crass
Whether folks are willing to admit it or not, everyone has a group of folks they’re not particularly comfortable with – be it because they’re black, nerdy, gay or handicapped. The key is to keep your ignorant thoughts to yourself. I would think that although we may harbor such feelings, we are very aware that voicing them to others will make us appear like politically incorrect morons. So why did former NBA Miami Heat superstar Tim Hardaway think it would go over well to say – then reiterate –“Well, you know, I hate gay people. I let it be known I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people. I'm homophobic. It shouldn't be in the world, in the United States, I don't like it." This jackass statement was in response to radio personality Dan Le Betard’s questioning of Hardaway, on the recent coming out of another former NBA player, John Amaechi. Even after the reporter came back to Hardaway and pointed out that his comments would be perceived as bigoted, he repeated the statement. When questioned how he would react to a close family member being gay, he said he would not speak to them. Hardaway, don’t hold your breath for any endorsement deals to roll in. Crass moron!

On Blast
Is there a particular group that you feel you’ve developed an ill-will for or don’t care for and feel that your feelings may be a generalized and ignorant stereotype? What do you do to mask these feelings?

Keep passin’ the open windows…

No comments: