Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Morning Edition - 12/28/05

Dean’s List
The Lord does not close a door without opening a window OR once a hooker, always a hooker; you decide. Last night I dashed out of the office around five and rode the train home listening to Chante Moore’s Love Supreme. Somehow between moments of open-mouthed stupor and deep meditation, I opened my eyes to see a pretty, grey-eyed stranger who was transfixed on my lips. I uncomfortably closed my mouth and chewed my gum more vigorously than necessary to convey the illusion that I was in fact, awake and was just concentrating on my musical selection. When the train reached my stop, I jumped from my seat and exited the train, the staring-stranger trailing behind me. I exited the station and began walking toward my car and turned to see the same gentleman, a smile now exposing his pearly whites as he finally blurted, “Hey cutie.” I was a bit surprised that a man would take such an enormous risk as to call another man a “cutie” and slightly offended that I was so “spookable” that he didn’t feel the slightest threat that I would dislocate his jaw. Resigning myself to accept a compliment and enjoy the attention of this attractive newcomer, I said, “Hello.” I could feel myself blushing. I slowed down and allowed him to catch-up. When he reached my side he asked, “So, you’re rushing home to your wife?” We both laughed as I responded, “Uh, no… she left me.” “Does this mean you’re rushing home to the Mrs.?” I asked, a giggle escaping with the question. We both stopped walking as he responded, “No, I’m a single couch potato.” He asked if I wanted to hang-out sometime. His question came as I reached my car, so rather than give a definitive answer, I pulled a business card from my wallet and said, “Please don’t be a psycho…this is my business card. Call me at the cell number and we’ll talk.” He smiled and began to ask, “Should I call when I ….” His voice trailed-off as I opened my car door and smiled while saying, “I like a man who’s pressed, so call soon.” I pushed my bag into the passenger seat, started my car and squealed out of my parking spot at top speed. I winked and smiled as I passed him. When he called last night I asked what his name was and he said, “Dean.” As we tentatively set a date for this week and were ready to hang up, I said, “So, am I on the Dean’s list?” He chose just the right thing to say…“Nah, that would mean the honor was yours and on the real, the honor is all mine.” I chuckled and said, “Sounds like you’re getting-off to a good start.”

“Me” Fix in 2006?
Yesterday’s On Blast exposed that the overwhelming majority of you intended to seek some form of self-fulfillment and satisfaction over any and everyone else for 2006. The consensus appears to be self-focus, self-care, self-promotion, and self-gratification – basically, many of you said you wanted to turn your now, self-less selves into selfish selves. Hmmm…. I don’t know how true this will be, but I don’t think this is the solution you seek OR the message you are really trying to convey. In 2005 you gave of yourself and might not realize how that giving positively affected many of the folks around you. Sometimes the lack of immediate recognition or gratification can leave us feeling unappreciated. The truth is, we don’t always know the impact our positive and selfless actions have on others. Don’t change a good heart into a cold crevice. Instead, seek to understand that all actions have a reaction. Yes, we’re back to the KARMA concept. What goes around comes around – especially the good. Focus on giving and sharing of yourself without expecting anything in return. Ultimately, life works in a full circle and your kindness will be rewarded and returned – not necessarily by the person to whom you were kind. So in 2006 go ahead and “do you” but be sure to continue to give “of you” as this is will bring you the greatest return in the end.

Oops, Where Are They?
Marriott Vacation Club International, the time-share club of Marriott International is baffled by the disappearance of credit card and social security information belonging to 206,000 of their customers and employees. The tapes containing the information have been missing from the company’s Orlando, Florida headquarters and the secret service has been notified. Letters began going out to customers last Saturday. Stephen P. Weisz, president of Marriot Vacation Club International said, “We regret this situation has occurred and realize this may cause concern for our associates and customers.” Both customers and associates of the firm are asked to monitor their credit history information closely in the coming months.

On Blast
Last night as I closely watched the entire first season of Noah’s Arc on Logo, Ricky (the character noted for being promiscuous) mentioned that monogamy was not intended for men and that men were not capable of strict monogamy. Do you believe that men are predisposed to cheat and sow their “wild” oats, while women are “nesters” or is this just a cock-and-bull story generated by men who want to justify their promiscuous ways?

Keep passin’ the open windows…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why some men are promiscuous, but one time this man tried to explain it when I posed the question as to why. He said that it's just the natural instinct of ALL male species including lions and tigers to have more than one sexual partner. He did mention that birds stay with one mate though.

Anonymous said...

Men are not promiscuous; what'cha name, can you pass me the lube...

Unknown said...

There have been times when the words monogamy and male have appeared to be on the opposite ends of the spectrum – including in my own life. The truth is that a research study in 1967 showed that 83% of world societies practiced polygamy (men having more than one wife) while only 16% of societies practiced exclusively monogamous relationships. In addition, societies that were strictly monogamous still punished females much more harshly than male infidels. Ultimately, it is believed that some men have trouble with monogamy because of our animal instinct to reproduce and secure our gene pool with the greatest number of females, while females seek security for themselves and their young. Americans still choose monogamy to various partners and even when cheating occurs, most males will resolve to choosing one partner in the end. Americans are among folks who most disapprove of infidelity – 85% of Americans. Strangely, men are generally conditioned to challenge and conquer women sexually, while women are conditioned to view sex as part of the complete love package – up to and including permanency and marriage.

Long story short…Monogamy is a novel and difficult process that requires dedication, communication and consideration. Understand that NO one benefits or thrives from deception, so grow the f*ck up.