Friday, July 07, 2006

Morning Edition - 7/7/06


Noah’s Arc First Season DVD Set; Review
After waiting for more than 12 days to receive my season 1 DVD, I sat for what is definitely one of the best DVD sets I’ve purchased to date. First, the set includes the pilot episode that the LOGO channel chose not to air. Also, every deleted scene was included with the DVD set adding context and flavor to scenes that were previously, just okay. I don’t want to ruin any surprises for my gay brethren, but WHEW… if you fell in love with the boyz in the cleaned-up version the LOGO channel fed us, you’ll go through a bottle of baby oil repeatedly watching the DVD set. The only drawback is the change in background music selections made to several scenes. Other than that this one gets 4 ½ out of 5 condoms – and don’t use that half one!

Past, Present, Future
Last night, Caspar aka Colleen, Kim and I, reminisced about growing up, suffering incredible heartbreaks and becoming resilient adults. On University Avenue in the Bronx, where we met as children, Cas, Kim and I always had a ball and shared stories of our first forays into dating. Now, close to 30 years later and five children between us, we sat at Outback Steakhouse last night and traded stories that made us laugh in amazement at the outcome of our lives. No we’re not exactly living high on the hog or married to Prince Charming, but we’re all very well-rounded and matured adults that can now laugh in the face of adversity. After ballooning to over 300 pounds, Kim underwent gastric by-pass surgery three years ago and lost over 180 lbs. Returning to NYC at 118 lbs. and near death, I now tip the scales at 145 lbs. and Cas is a statuesque goddess who has more voluptuous curves than a desert sidewinder. Thank you ladies for the trip down memory lane. It was well worth the Thursday night hang-out.

37, 18, 530, 2, 1
What the heck do these numbers have to do with each other? Quite simply, I’ll be turning 37 next month and would like to do a night out on Friday, August 18, at 5:30 p.m. to celebrate the occasion. Best of all, we can toast 2-for-1 drinks. I’ll send out an official invite closer to the date, but please pencil the event into your calendars.

On Blast
Your momma liked taking money out of your dad’s wallet and now you do the same to your husband. You overheard your dad telling your mom that his word was final and no further discussion was necessary and now you feed your wife the same line. What quality have you appropriated from your parents’ relationship that doesn’t necessarily work for your relationship?

Keep passin’ the open windows…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom and dad are still together today. The dynamics of their 41-year marriage have always left me awestruck. They are a fluid match made in…uh, heaven? Yes, heaven. …but seriously, my mom’s outward and vocal strength, coupled with my dad’s incredible patience and upstanding morality left nothing for me to take from them – outside of a model for the perfect relationship. I tend to be more like my mom (attitude, mouth, sense of humor and even complexion) and so I look for (and hope for) partners that are more like my dad. I do think that mom (and now my) strong – almost uncompromising – position with regard to different issues, can lead to relationship woes if I attempt to engage someone more like myself.

Hey… we doin’ the beach tomorrow?! Hit me up… you know who you are!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a single parent home with my mother as the only parent. From her actions, not her saying...I learned that you don't need a man to be successful in life. My mother has done very well for herself and her children. All of us have married but we still know that you can be alone without being lonely. I love you Ma!