Thursday, February 09, 2006

Morning Edition - 2/9/06

Granny Grammys
The 48th Annual Grammy Awards made their three-hour plus appearance on CBS last night. Opening the show was icon and mother-of-two, Madonna. The double-decade success has apparently made a pact with the devil because she has the shape of a 20-year old. Sporting a new svelte physique was nominee Alicia Keys who presented the first award of the night with Stevie Wonder. John Legend performed his Grammy award winning song Ordinary People and was everything but ordinary – Legend is the vision of class, elegance and humble success. Mary J. Blige and U2 did an odd rendition off of Blige’s Breakthrough CD, One Love. Blige gave you ghetto fabulous rocker chick – now, can we get rid of the braid? Later, we saw the opposite of humble when Kanye West took home the Grammy for Best Rap Album. Sporting a Soul Train meets Men On Film ensemble, West alluded to not having any idea he would win the award, but had a pre-printed, computer-generated “Thank You List.” Proving American Idol is churning out true music artists, Kelly Clarkson took home a couple of Grammys herself. The shy, teary-eyed Clarkson couldn’t contain her tears when picking up her first award of the night. Sadly, her fashion sense doesn’t quite match her vocal talents. While performing, Clarkson wore a red peasant dress that screamed, “La Isla Bonita” and even pulled an Eric Benet by leaving off the shoes. I love her – that said, while being interviewed on the red carpet for the Grammy Awards, Mariah Carey disputed whether she had loaded on the weight and simply said she is the size of a normal human being. While singing two of her Emancipation hits Carey appeared unusually breathy and I suspect some portions were prerecorded. Say it isn’t so Mimi! Also, I wanted to pull her aside just to whisper, “the my-little-mermaid look is out baby.” Paul McCartney and Jay Z? What the heck was that all about? Aren’t you both retired? For the record, we’ve had enough of the meshing musical genres for the delight of onlookers. It doesn’t always fly. Now, for amazing vocal range, remarkable precision and flawless pitch, Christina Aguillera tore the heck out of A Song For You with Herbie Hancock running through the keyboards like only a 10-time Grammy Award winner can. All-in-all, we love to see our icons of the past making comeback performances, we even love to watch a couple of new-comers belting it away with a sure-fire hit, but for the love of good music, please highlight the current talent more. This year’s Grammys were more like the Grannys.

Flat Abs; Maybe Just Not You
Yes, I’m in a consistent struggle to get my flat abdominals back. It’s been five weeks since I began the strenuous cardio workouts, the healthier diet and the painful toning exercises. Everything in moderation someone once said and getting in shape happens slowly – sometimes as slowly as it was to gain it. Unfortunately, flat abs and the coveted six-pack are not as easy to attain as many folks think. The truth is that doctors have found that most people find getting a six pack almost impossible for good reason. First, your diet may require you to eat more to sustain your body which would prohibit you from seeing those beautiful muscles poking from your abdomen. Another cause is a lack of consistent and rigorous cardio exercise. If you’re not burning that wall of fat hiding those muscles in your midsection, don’t expect to see them anytime soon. Finally there are those dreaded genes. Some folks are not genetically predisposed to easily show a six-pack. So before you kill yourself looking to have your abdomen look like fresh baked bread before summer, find out if your efforts will even be worth the strain.

Maybe It’s Just New York
The U.S. Census Bureau says that 50% of adult New Yorkers are unmarried. This is the highest percentage of unmarried folks for any state. Is it the NY-titude that has Apple dwellers going home to an empty home? No definitive reason is given for the disproportionate number of New Yorkers that are single.

On Blast
Being single can be a drag and navigating the dating scene can be daunting. Where should your single friends go to meet worthwhile people? What do you believe are the most important personality traits to put on display when socializing in the single scene? What are definite no-no topics of conversation when meeting prospective partners?

Keep passin’ the open windows…

17 comments:

Just Me said...

Personally, I don't look for my love in a club, church or laundry facility. My reasons behind these are simple. I want you to be the same person after we meet as you were before. I'm not saying that you can't meet a potential love interest in these places but, if your going to these places JUST to find a mate your in for a surprise. I meet and greet in every situation that I find myself in but the purpose is NOT seeking anything or anyone. You might catch my eye on the bus, train, grocery store, eating lunch or walking down the street.

If we are to make it past third base there are several things that must fall in line with my prespective. You have be able to take care of yourself and not looking for a hand up or out. You must be responsible in paying your debts, if you can't pay them, don't make them. I love many things and all come with a $ figure. Respect is of the utmost, me, yourself and others. I've found that when all hell breaks, you will treat me just like the person on the street. I don't like phony people with champagne taste and beer bottle money. If you find yourself always in a pinch for dough, you need a new job or more education, not a man with a BMW or a woman with a Lexus.
I plan to retire early and carrying dead weight from the jump just isn't my cup of tea. I AM not saying that we as people don't have hardship but, come on this has been lasting for 10 years, get it together. Today LOVE isn't enough to see you through the storms of life. CREDIT worthliness is becoming more and more a part of our future.....

P.S. Along with all these qualifications, I must have more than a booty call interest and that I don't mind paying a little for.

FREAKING RICAN said...

COCO, GREAT TOPIC! As for the census, I would like to know if 50% of NYers are single then why can't we hook up with someone great! As for your On blog question...Please one of our Blog members give me a great answer since it's been a while since I have called someone my partner...I have been out of the dating scene so long and wouldn't even know what to say to a brother.....

Just Me said...

Freaking Rican,
We men love "Hi, I see you really got it going on." He'll smile and POW the ice has been broken...

Kooch,
To get the abs to display their 'together-ness' every other part of the body should fall in place first. We men carry our excess in our stomach and women in their hip area so, it will happen but not overnight unless you do the MADonna and Toni thing....tuck, tuck umph umph snip snip..."ouch, watch it"

donya said...

Well one no-no topic for me is talking about sex. Don't come to me "hypothetically speaking" about what my favorite position is etc...That is the biggest turn off to me. Oh and please stop asking me when am I going to take you out or grabbing my lunch as if I bought it for you. I am an old school girl who lives by old school rules court me, take me out make me want to switch it up.

Just Me said...

Donya,

What is the old girl's thoughts about being home barefoot and pregnant, the man is my provider, my job is to make you happy and you come before me? In what areas are you a today woman?

these questions and answer provide insight and knowledge to who we are as a person.....No defense please.

caspar608 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
caspar608 said...

I think a sense of humor is great from the get go. If you make me laugh from the first introduction/conversation I feel comfortable around you. I have never had a problem introducing myself to anyone. Not everyone wants to talk about the things I like to talk about so I don't take it personally if the object of my momentary affections walks away. I think if people were less inclined to feel rejected they would enjoy the whole meet and greet scene a little more. Its been a while for me since I have been out there...according to Cocoa I've been too busy breeding them like roaches (for the record thems is 13, 9 going on 10 and 5 going on 6 - 3 in all) and trying to make something of myself at work (other than making a fool of myself which is always fun).
So, Freakin, baby just be your gorgeous, hilarious, sexy, voluptuous self and get out there. Talk to everyone, love is in every experience - open your heart up and be you. Get out to the parks and concerts this spring. Meet all different kinds of folks...you never know who they couldlead you to.
As for me, I have come to accept the fact that I may never know what it is like to be loved by someone other than my family, but I have already found my soul mates in my babies and I couldn't really ask for more than that perfect love.
Peace,
Cas

donya said...

My comment was not to be taken as stay home barefoot and pregnant. I said court me meaning approach me with respect. I am a lady and should be treated as such. Now as far as speaking in defense don't say nothing to me. In reading other of your post I have found that you don't seem to understand what most people are saying you take stuff out of context and turn things around. So I am going to say this as simply as possible. I don't like you, I don't know you, I won't be reading what you write because I feel that you are a hypocrite and a phony. You say rude nasty degrading things to people and then try to engage in an intelligent conversation with someone as if you did not say the horrible things that you have said. I am simple saying however public this blog is I don't have to respond to you and you do not have to respond to me. The only thing you can say to me is when your plane, train or autmobile gets in so that you can stand up for yourself.

Family: for those that know me on a personal level I do not take kindly to people who are like him and I don't have the patience for simple people either. So I apologize to all of you now if I offended any of you in any kind of way.

Peace

caspar608 said...

Mariah looks really pretty plump. She is no spring chicken...I would make book on her being on anti-depressants of some sort, but hey, she may just be going to church! Also, she lip-synched her entire set Cocoa. Please do NOT be in denial about Mariah too. I LOVE Mariah myself but honey is HUMAN and lets face it, extra weight DOES make it hard to walk around and sing at the same time (HIGHER!!!!! ya'll -Deeper than I ever dreamed of to boot). Madonna is just an alien. Period!
Mary J. made me want to pluck all of my pubic hairs out with a tweezer with that absolutely HORRIBLE rendition of ONE by U2. ONE is a song of the ACHTUNG BABY album and was written 15 years ago by Bono for people who were suffering with AIDS(he donated the proceeds from that song to various AIDS charities). Mary DESTROYED such a beautiful and haunting masterpiece. Whats more disturbing is that Bono allowed er to do such a thing....then again, he is a true Irish gentlemen who donates the majority of his off time meeting with presidents and country leaders for the poor and disenfranchised so I am not surprised that if Mary asked if she could borrow the song he said yes, of course darlin (U2 collectively are very big fans of gospel and R&B music so I am sure he is a huge fan of Mary's)
Anyway, I stopped watching after the whole Mariah debacle. Or was it when Kanye, I mean Kool Mo Dee I mean Kanye got up there and made everyone despise him a little more. He should just join the WWF. I don't remember. I do remember that Beyonce should have gotten those roots done.
Thats all folks!

caspar608 said...

I personally would have been happy to stay home with my babies while my husband went out to provide for us...alas...thats not how things worked out. I find myself caught in the matrix daily and it is really frustrating.

Cocoa Rican said...

Where you meet folks is less about the place as it is about how comfortable you are in an environment. For example, if clubs and bars make you uneasy, you’re less likely to be relaxed enough to be yourself, so they probably wouldn’t be the optimal place for you to meet potential people to engage. Some people would say church or the grocery store, but since I’m hardly ever in a church and run through the grocery store like a track runner, chances are I wouldn’t be meeting folks there. Find where you feel most at ease and that’s where you will show your best you. I find that where I meet folks always depends on how I’m feeling. I’ve recently met folks on the train ride home, at the gym, at private parties, etc., but I also realize that at the time, I was feeling in my zone. I tend not to treat anyone like potential dates or f*ck buddies when I meet them, so that eliminates the jitters that come with meeting folks. I try to be myself, keep it light and smile a lot. This usually puts others in the right mindset. As far as no-no conversations: Never, ever, ever, discuss previous relationships when meeting people – especially when those relationships ended in disaster. Nothing turns potential dates off like hearing about your past on first meetings. Definitely stay away from verbally bashing anyone in the immediate vicinity of you and the intended person – if there’s someone acting a fool, simply laugh it off and act as though the crazed maniac making a spectacle is amusing. Folks love to see that you put things in perspective and take it light. Don’t seem overly defensive about any comments the new person makes. If something sounds odd or off-color, politely ask for clarification. Don’t be a prude – you’re out to have fun, not to assert yourself and show how powerful you are. Be cool, be easy and be fun. Save the rules for another time – especially when you don’t know where the initial meeting is going. Most of all, it’s okay to meet folks and realize you just want to be friends – hey, don’t forget that these folks have friends they can introduce you to as well.

caspar608 said...

I am a realist. I will never have a six pack. I had several 9+ pound babies and no matter how much weight I lose or how much running I do I will always have a wall of trauma on my belly. Now, if I was stuck on an island with Wilson the soccer ball the story might be different but for now, I will deal with the reminder of the masterpeices I brought forth and not worry so much about what other people think of my natural beauty.

caspar608 said...

Do you want to take me cruising on an ocean liner to places I looooooong to see...

Well, with my champagne taste and your beer bottle pockets, don't forget to write me when you get there in your row-boat when you've paddled across the sea without me.

Do you see us dining on caviar and pheasant with decedents of royalty.
Well with my champagne taste and your beer bottle pockets, I'll be having pheasant while you're dining with the peasants dunking donuts in a diner without me.

You said you have ambition to make my dream come true, well brother you just keep right on wishing and all of my dreams will come true… without you.

Do you see me in a Jaguar with all the accessories and one of those accessories is YOU? Well with my champagne taste and your beer bottle pockets, take back your Jaguar accessories etcetera and drive back to your dreamland without me.

And if I wanted diamonds you'd offer me breakfast at tiffanies and luncheons at Cartier's you'd recommend. Well with my champagne taste and your beer bottle pockets you will have to work-on something better than a zircon because your diamonds is this girl's worst friend.

You said you'd promise me anything to make my life a feasssssssst. You didn't give me anything, not even Arpege you beast!

And it wouldn't surprise me if a lady like Godiva had someone like you to give her the stole.

For with her champagne taste and your beer bottle pocket when she couldn't get those dresses she just let down all her tresses and forgot she was a lady after all.

So if you want me to become apart of your permanent employ, before my champagne fizzles come up with the real McCoy. Show me you can separate the MAN from the BOY and bring me a constant life of champagne taste.

caspar608 said...

definitely one of YOURS Cocoa Koochie...

Just Me said...

I can see that we, Donya and I, have two different views about relationships and courting. I am a modern day man looking for a modern day lady. Courting is all good, but caretaker is not my gig. I'm sorry that we can't get on the same page but, life goes on.

Donya, I would think that you’re a lady and calling my out is NOT lady-like. I have no plans on getting ghetto with a woman who thinks that she can handle a man....Baby, I agree to disagree with you....I hope that I'm mis-reading your "stand up for yourself" comment. Peace be with you.....

Cocoa Rican said...

Eartha Kitt's Champagne Wishes is definitely one of my favorite songs - all my friends know this. Caspar, cut the shyt. ...and since when did you start calling me Koochie? Do I need to have a meeting in the ladies room?

caspar608 said...

Be back real soon Cocoa...you'll be in there ALL BY YOURSELF. Like the song.