Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Morning Edition - 5/17/05

Sorry You Took It The Wrong Way
In a case of foot-in-mouth disease or boy-were-you-out-of-line, Mexican President Vicente Fox offended the African American community by saying that Mexicans in the US were taking jobs that “even blacks” wouldn’t do. I saw the speech and am fluently bilingual – he was seriously out of line. Your eminence of Fabulaxer, Rev. Al Sharpton, called on President Fox to apologize and got a half-hearted, sorry-you-took-it-the-wrong-way, over the weekend. Following a more public (and mainstream) outcry to what was obviously a bad choice of words, Fox relented an offered a real apology to both Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson. Apparently it was an apology that “even black folks” could accept.

Three-Two-One
American Idol is rounding that corner to crowning season four’s winner. Vonzelle Solomon, Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood are the remaining participants – Solomon is the only minority in the running. If my long-standing predictions serve me right, Underwood can start getting her handkerchiefs ready for the routine cry-fest that follows the crowning of the winner. All three are shoo-ins for recording contracts. The three perform tonight, at 8 p.m. on Fox.

What?! You Can’t Breathe?
Russian cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev and U.S. astronaut John Phillips are in the middle of their 6-month long tour on the half-built International Space Station. Problem is, the oxygen generator aboard the space station is completely kaput and there are 140 days worth of reserve air on board. The U.S. has not had a launch to the space station since the fatal disaster of Columbia in 2003. Russian crews are expecting to repair or replace the oxygen generator in July. Krikalev and Phillips are due back on Earth on October 7. Guess we’ll all take a deep breath then.

Rare Photo Op For Family
Last night was the first time in over two years that the entire Cruz clan – including five children and two grandbabies by eldest Cruz daughter, Evelyn, were together. Discussions are in the works to have a photo taken of the family before the departure of the parents, next Tuesday, May 24. Matriarch, Millie, has not determined the theme for the photo shoot, but suggestions of daddy Cruz posing as a priest; mom as a nun and the five children as altar boys have been scrapped. Sidebar: I only suggested that theme following the catholic-esque guilt trip my parents have perfected over the years.

Keep passin’ the open windows…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMAGINE HECTOR AS.....OH HELL!!! THATS FUNNY..PARDON THE PUN

Unknown said...

Cuca...lunch tomorrow? J'MOO...how did the event with Mandela/Clinton go last week? Shey/Angie...y'all bettah hit me up with somethin' before I burst into flames! Kris...I'll play altar boy if you play priest :) Caspar...I'll invite the family to head over to your place on Sat., but I can't be responsible for the irrepairable damage the Cruz clan can have on outside families! JB...you're not 20 and I'll do what I wish others had done for me two years ago; I admonish you to gain some weight back, your head is huge...no hard feelings, right? Ray...I'm not ignoring you I just have 2 million things on my plate right now; we'll work out next week, so keep streching :) Fluff... movie on Thurs. night; drive-in after? :)

Unknown said...

Wifey/Boy Wonder?!?!? What's the story with last night's event at the Kennedy Center? Was it the bomb or could you hear the crickets? Hit me back!

Unknown said...

Lori....when are you coming to see the baby? Mom was aking about you and you know how she gets! I told Dad, "Lorraine lives out by Bobby," but since he's deaf he kept saying he can't believe you pulled a Lorraina Bobbit! I just figured I'd leave well enuf alone! Hit me up tonight!

Anonymous said...

ON A SERIOUS NOTE THOUGH FOLKS...AS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN I WAS OFFENDED BY PRESIDENT VINCENTE FOX'S COMMENTS...UNFORTUNATELY HE WAS JUST ENDORSING SENTIMENTS HE ADOPTED WHILE VACATIONING AT THAT RANCH IN CRAWFORD, TEXAS. THE RACIST ASPERSIONS....THE COMPARISONS....THE CONDESCENSION...THE DISARMING BUT DIVISIVE ATTITUDE....ARE SO REPUBLICAN

Unknown said...

Well, as a man of color I found the statement in very poor taste. I was so upset I had to tell my housekeeper Lupita to take back the Chimichanga she had served me until I got myself together... :)