Thursday, June 30, 2005

Morning Edition - 6/30/05

Mira Que Bueno; Gay Marriage Legalized in Spain
Spain became the third country to legalize gay marriage today, in a move that has conservative voters and Spain’s traditionally Roman Catholic majority up in arms. The law immediately grants gay couples the ability to marry, adopt children and inherit each others’ property. Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said, “We were not the first, but I am sure we will not be the last. After us will come many other countries, driven, ladies and gentlemen, by two unstoppable forces: freedom and equality.”

Terry McMillan New Book Amidst Pending Divorce
Terry McMillan, 53, filed for divorce in January stating her husband, Jonathan Plummer, 30, is gay. A judge has ordered McMillan to pay Plummer $2,000 per month and $25,000 in attorney’s fees until the case returns to court in October. McMillan’s new novel, The Interruption of Everything, is scheduled to be released next month. The book has nothing to do with her life and is said to be about a married mother of three who is questioning her comfortable suburban life…. Uh, cool. Ultimately, McMillan says she will not allow this divorce to "detract from the many blessings in her life."

Racial Bias Beat down; Victims Are Admitted Car Thieves
Early Wednesday, three black men ventured into a historically white neighborhood in NYC know as Howard Beach in Queens. The three admit they were scoping out cars and trying to choose an easy target to steal when an SUV driven by Nicholas Minucci, 21, noticed the three men. Minucci is said to have picked up two friends and a baseball bat before returning to beat the three men, fracturing one man’s skull. Minucci is now being charged with first degree assault as a hate crime and criminal possession of a weapon. The hate crime factor guarantees Minucci eight years in prison. His two friends have not been apprehended. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he would not allow such "an ugly incident" to divide the city.

Please post your Afternoon Edition On Blast questions in this Morning Edition’s Comments section.

REMINDER: Angie/Jeanine: Are we ready to send out a logistics list to the group for the July 16, Watkins Park function? Update please.

Keep passin’ the open windows…

7 comments:

FREAKING RICAN said...

Good Morning everyone,

Is it just me but when family members call from overseas and you hardly ever hear from them and out of the blue they call you for "A FAVOR" why is it that my stomach gets into knots. I know the next question has got to be about money...Why do they think that because we live and work in New York we can afford to send them money? Don't they realize that the rents, mortgages, food, clothes, etc here in New York is Off-the-hook! Back in the days I would send them what they needed but now adays I'm like "Look here I don't have it" Why do you think our families/friends from overseas think that we are RICH? Damn! they need to come live here for a year or two...they will then realize how hard we have it trying to make our our ends meet.......

caspar608 said...

Depending on the circumstances you may want to help out. Girl, I thought you were a PK! It's ok to ask the person to produce documentation in a manner that would suggest you will pay the debt directly. In other words, "The mortgage is overdue? Well, lets call the mortgage company together and see what can be worked out?" See what I am saying. No money for food, well, here's a gift card to Pathmark or Stop and Shop or whatever supermarket is in the area. The lights are going to get shut off? Let me call Con Ed and see if a payment plan can be worked out. I've done it myself. If it were my Mom, there would be no need for an investigation. I don't care what it was. I would just hand it over because she gave me life.

caspar608 said...

Don't you all hate it when your morning coffee goes into full effect at work and the porter WON'T leave the bathroom. PRIVACY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caspar608 said...

The crazy thing is, if the idiot hadn't let his KKK-ish tendencies go into overdrive while beating a thiefs azz (supposedly) it wouldn't be a hate crime - just an assault (duh!). It is public knowledge that most of the morons out in Howard Beach carry bats in the trunks of their cars because they keep Good Fellas playing on a 24 hour loop in their cars and bedrooms. Real men use their God made beaters to handle their business (i.e. balled up fists).
Clealry, people of all colors should be able to walk anywhere in this city anytime they please BUT since this happened at three AM and the gentlemen admitted (supposedly) that they were looking to boost a Chrysler 300, I think it would be safe to say that Howard Beach should be avoided at 3am - more so than the South Bronx.

FREAKING RICAN said...

Caspar, I understand what you are saying but when you constantly dish out money to the same family members over and over when does it stop. I don't mind helping my family if it comes to medication, food or a light bill but when it comes to I can't pay my car insurance (Hello!) and you have a your man, a mother, a father, a brother, (I am the step sister) and you constantly think that I am made out of money come on give me a break! I use to send them cash for anything that they needed help with but now it's just not financial possible for me to continue with the Santa Clause give away. I am not saying not to help if they truly need it but when they are always expecting it, that is when it bothers me. I just spoke to my step sister and when she told me that she need $200 for car insurance payment I was like "I don't think so" you should have saved the money weekly when you knew that bill was coming up soon. But No! she goes and spends the money on AVON! She better go the bank! UnFreakingbelievable!

caspar608 said...

or she better sell that boo-ty. Hell-lelelele-LO? Car insurance?

Lawd have mercy I am soooo tired of irresponsible folks. So tiiiired.

Cocoa Rican said...

Dear Freaking Rican:
Since you're giving out cash, my rent is due tomorrow. I should pay it from my current salary, but I'd like to buy some clothes and a pair of off-da-hook Timbs I saw on the web last week. Also, I will be getting a full body wax and Busta could use another trim this week. Please let me know when I can arrange to pick up the cold-hard-free cash.

As my triflin' moochin' brotha would say... ONE